BEARINGS WITH ANTIFRICTION FILLING (AFF) AS PER TC 37.006.143-85. single-row RADIAL BALL BEARINGS WITH SOLID-LUBRICANT FILLER. TECHNICAL CONDITIONS*.
In the age of modern competition, final product costs significantly contribute to competitive advantage. Product costs in its turn are seriously influenced by maintenance costs of equipment and bearings.
At the moment, the market is full of various proposals from companies offering rolling bearings, seals, lubricants and all sorts of technical solutions to expand durability of rolling bearings and bearing units. One of these innovative solutions are AFF (Anti-Friction Filler) bearings. The main application of these bearings is in machine units that sustain impact of periodic temperatures of up to +300 ° C and operate at rotation speed of up to 1000 rpm, such as transport systems, conveyor lines, roasting and caking trolleys, curing wagons that work in high humidity, dusty environments, and are exposed high temperatures.
Our company offers innovative bearings with COMPAUND type solid graphite AFF grease. These bearings work in extreme operating conditions at temperatures from -180 to 300 оС.
Distinctive feature of AFF bearings:
Distinctive feature of AFF bearings compared to plastic or liquid lubricant bearings is their ability to operate in dusty and polluted working environment at high working temperatures (up to 300°С). This eliminates any need to develop, manufacture and provide maintenance for lubricating systems of bearing units and bearings.
Due to their innovative properties, AFF bearings are highly resistant to various aggressive environments, such as acids, alkalis, solvents, dust, moisture etc
• Operating temperature range from -180 to +300 C.
• Constant initial torque in all temperature ranges.
• Coefficient of friction is not more than 0,03.
• Destructive compression force (MPa) 18 ... 25.
• Impact hardness (KJ / m2) 3.5 ... 4.4.
Areas of use:
Steel production equipment (iron foundry, blast furnace production), ceramics and glass manufacture, drying and quenching furnaces, conveyor systems (suspended conveyors, trolleys and chain conveyors), production of cement, slate, brick, breeze blocks (autoclaved), food industry (flour milling), equipment for painting chambers, mining industry, agglomeration industry, fertilizer production, vacuum equipment.
Design feature of AFF bearings:
The entire space between bearing rings is filled with a solid graphite lubricant, which densely settles on the separator and becomes an internal part of the bearing structure.
Image on the left shows AFF bearing while the right one displays 6212 2Z foreign bearing in VA 208 modification with segmented graphite separator designed to operate in similar conditions but failed due to corrosion of metal washers that occlude antifriction filling
The images show 6315 foreign bearing in VA 201 modification, which worked in severe conditions for about 1.5 years. A mixture of PAG and graphite, suitable for temperatures from -40 to +250 C, was used as a lubricant. The cost of this bearing exceeds the cost of Russian AFF bearing by more than 10 times.
AFF bearings manufacturing technology:
AFF are paste-like compositions consisting of powdery solid lubricants and a liquid binder. These pastes are filled into inter-ring space of serial bearing under pressure and at high temperatures, which results in these hardened aggregates playing the role of "protective sealing" and allowing for self-lubrication of internal structural parts (separator, rolling elements, raceways).
This way, AFF serves as an effective protective seal and lubricant (replacing existing lubricants).
Types of bearings:
Ball bearings of all types, roller and spherical bearings. Currently new types of AFF bearings are under development.
AFF filling of UC type housed bearings, widely used in various industries, was mastered in February 2012.
Where can AFF bearings be used?
The main application of antifriction filler bearings is in units and equipment that sustain periodic impact of temperatures ranging from -180 ° C to +300 ° C and operate at rotation speed of up to 1000 rpm.
AFF bearings are used in various industries:
ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy,
iron founding, coke and by-product process, blast-furnace ironmaking,
cement production and transportation,
mining and conveyor transport of coal, mineral fertilizers and ore,
AFF bearings are indispensable for mining companies for their use in roller supports of conveyor lines, where they produce substantial energy savings due to their constant torque value of the belt breakaway at positive and negative temperatures.
These bearings are used in conveyor transport lines, roasting and caking trolleys, curing wagons that operate in high humidity, dusty environment, and are exposed to acids, alkalis and abrasive wear. They are able to operate under pressure and in vacuum.
AFF bearings are designed to operate through turnaround cycle and this is the reason why no emergency downtime or belt jams occur in conveyor operation, and the transported product does not fall along conveyor lines. Eventually, the wear of expensive belt is reduced and no maintenance is required.
Using AFF bearings ensures reduction of equipment emergency downtime share, which brings down financial losses, improves product quality, increases product competitiveness and eventually results in growing company profit
1. Which industries are best recommended for application of bearings with AFF graphite lubricant:
Our bearings are highly desirable:
- In high temperature environments where viscous lubricants leak or get carbonized,
- If you have to refill expensive filling grease from time to time,
- If you allocate substantial resources to replacing bearings,
- If you’re not happy with the service life of your bearings, given above said negative factors,
These are some of the industries where they are in demand:
2. What is the AFF grease made of? - The main component of AFF grease is
3. What types of bearings can it be used for?
- We fill bearings of all types and sizes, except needle bearings.
4. What’s the service life of a bearing? - the service life of the bearing depends on many factors:
Operating environment of the bearing, rotation speed, load, temperature. AFF lubricant provides an average increase of bearing service life by 5-7 to 50 times.
5. What’s the cost of a bearing filled with AFF composition? - the price of the filled bearing depends on its size and type.
6. Can we fill bearings independently? – In our manufacturing process bearings are filled with graphite lubricant under pressure and at high temperatures. It is hardly possible to run this operation independently.
7. Can the lubricant protect against dust and other impurities (for instance, abrasives) - AFF bearings are designed to operate in a dusty and dirty environment.
8. Can bearings be in contact with water? - no, AFF bearings are not designed to operate in wet conditions
9. What is the rotation speed of AFF bearings? It depends on the lubricant composition. Generally it’s 100 rpm, but in our experience, bearings with AFF lubricant were used on equipment at rotation speed of up to 1000 rpm
10. Is service maintenance necessary for the bearing? - AFF bearings require no service maintenance for their whole operating life
11. How often do bearings need to be lubricated? AFF bearings require no repeated lubrication for their whole life
12. Are there any recommendations for AFF bearings installation? - Do not use any viscous lubricants, graphite will perform lubricating function during operation. Ideal option is induction heater. For press fit we recommend using a mandrel so that the load applies SIMULTANEOUSLY on the outer and inner rings. Enough experience is required for open flame heating not to overheat the rings.
13. Why is it so important to fit the bearing properly – with improper fitting graphite will crumble away, which will significantly reduce bearing life.
14. Can lubricant be used on conveyor lines? - AFF bearings are recommended for use on conveyor lines.
15. Can these bearings be used in food production? AFF lubricant does not pollute the environment, and AFF bearings have shown great performance in bread making.
16. Can this lubricant be used at temperatures higher than 200-250 ℃? –Special bearings are required to use AFF lubricant at temperatures above 200 ℃
17. Will lubrication work at low temperatures? - AFF bearings can be used at temperatures as low as (-180 ℃)
18. Can the lubricant be used in vacuum? Yes. AFF bearings can operate in vacuum condition.
19. Is it possible to fill the bearing of 2Z and 2RS versions? - The hardness of the composition is similar to that of a graphite pencil rod, so bearings filled with AFF lubricant require no additional protection, such as rubber seals.
20. Does AFF lubricant contaminate the environment? – Composition of AFF lubricant contains no polluting components and is therefore environmentally friendly.
21. Where do you recommend to avoid using AFF bearings? – with any impact loads, as graphite will crumble away.
*)ТУ 37.006.143-85. Specifications.
These specifications apply to ball-type radial single-row bearings with a serpent separator as per GOST 8338-75, filled with antifriction solid-lubricant filler (AFF), manufactured as per specification 16-538. V01-83. Bearings are designed to operate in transport systems and conveyor units, roasting and pallet carts, drying and refilling trolleys of plants belonging to the Ministry of Industrial Construction Materials and other industries. Specifications and type codes are given; 204 / АС3 ТУ 37.006.143-85 - bearing made as per GOST 520-71, filled with AFF; 204АС3 ТУ 37.006.143-85 - bearing made as per TU 37.006.-80, filled with AFF.
An article dedicated to AFF bearings was published in №7 of BUILDING MATERIALS, EQUIPMENT, TECHNOLOGIES OF THE XXI CENTURY magazine for 2011. The article is available here or on the magazine's website.
For any questions related to purchase of bearings and technical advice, please call (495) 620-58-25, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org